The 20th Annual Great Bronx Dominican Parade...
...La Gran Parada Dominicana de El Bronx –
Text and Photos by Ismael Núñez
This past July 26, 2009, the temperature rose to 86 degrees. The New York
Yankees continued their winning ways, and the 20th annual Great Bronx Dominican Parade, took place in the
Bronx along the Grand Concourse from East 184th Street to East 167th Street,
one of the largest and most colorful parades in New York City. As you can
see, the Dominican parade is not just a place for Dominican groups to
showcase their talents, but also to show that their doors are always open to
the whole Latin-American community.
Click on any photo to see a larger version.
1. The Godmother of the Parade, NY1 Noticias Presentadora
stands alongside the Queen of the parade with her lovely costume.
2. La belleza dominicana se ve por todas partes...
3. As in all Latin parades in New York, the national flag
waves to bring out the pride and joy, the bigger the better.
4. Grand Marshall of the Parade:
radio and TV personality, entrepreneur, actress, reporter...
5. With their lively Dominican costumes the cultural
group "Grupo de Lechones" stands proudly with Director
Don Tomás Morel
7. Parade Godmother, Grand Marshall, and Godfather with
8. The Bandits
9. Gran Mariscal Celinés Toribio takes a break from
12. Here two of the lovely dance choreographers lead
their dance group in a quick performace before marching.
13. Las Ramitas de Borinquen, Bronx Puerto Rican Youth Group
founded in 1971, a fine mixture of baton twirlers and musicians.
14. Las princesitas y su corte
15. Mother Ismelda Minaya shares the moment with her daughter Brittney Brito,
Little Queen of the Parade.
16. The crowd eagerly awaits the parade!
17. Actress Wanda Ferreiras hangs proudly with the crowd.